Lack of Covenants – Misleading Sales Pitch

by Candy on November 23, 2011

Be weary of purchasing land in the Kachemak Estates Subdivision in Homer, Alaska 99603. I checked out this land during the fall of 2011 and requested a copy of the covenants and bylaws. I quickly saw that every house did NOT comply with the covenants. Do not let the seller or realtor fool you. Prior to purchasing check out these 2 important documents. If necessary, drive to any house in this small subdivision and request a copy of these documents. After reviewing the documents, just observe the houses in the area to see if they comply. If there is a home owner’s association, they are obviously not enforcing the covenants. If you read this much after 2011, it is possible that the problem got fixed or the home owner’s association developed some responsibility.

This post was submitted by Candy.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

John November 24, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Candy, I think you meant to use the word leery.

Beca November 25, 2011 at 11:15 am

I am familiar with the area and it is a shame. I have seen laundry hanging on the front deck, visible from the roads; an ice chest in the front yard; a make-shift green house with junk visibly stored inside; an old boat and trailer stored in the yard; junk in the yard and clearly visible from Morning Star Road; uncut weeds & grass in the front yard; paint buckets stacked in the front yard; ……………. Other than irresponsible people, it’s a beautiful subdivision.

NoName May 4, 2012 at 7:32 am

Saw this area yesterday. The first yard I saw had visqueen, a sawhorse, & lots of buckets laying in the yard. There are pallets stacked next to the house. There is a huge dried weedpatch in the front yard and the back yard looks like a landfill. No covenants!!!

McMichaels August 19, 2012 at 7:56 am

There are tradeoffs. Without covenants, you are allowed to operate a business from your home. I have been to a home in this subdivision that does fingerprinting. He does a thriving business. It’s nice to be able to work out of your house. Covenants aren’t all that they are cracked up to be.

CTH September 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm

McMichaels: Covenants keep property values up for everyone in the subdivision. Maybe there are no covenants, but there should be if you don’t want a beautiful subdivision look like the “wrong side of the tracks.” I was in the subdivision a few weeks ago and the first house had all kinds of white cr@p laying in the drive – in addition to the multi-color ice chest stacked on wooden pallets. I’m going to go back and see if any of that is cleaned up. It has the potential of being a nice area.

Sherman November 18, 2012 at 5:26 am

A subdivision’s property values are only as good as the sloppiest and most irresponsible land owner. And neighbors can’t make another neighbor adhere to the covenants. If one neighbor chooses to run a business from their home when the covenants restrict this activity, or they choose to allow their front yard to grow up in weeds, the other neighbors pay the consequences in lower property values. You cannot force people to be considerate of others. It has to be in their heart.

Juanita April 22, 2013 at 7:35 am

The problem here is not with the covenants. I know the developer and there is no way that he would create a subdivision without covenants. I also know the folks causing the “appearance” problem. They did the same thing at their previous house. What I don’t know is if this group of landowners has set up a covenant enforcement committee. If they have, then the problem is clearly that el liderazgo tiene ningunas cojones. If they haven’t, they need to do so. Maybe the realtors don’t know or understand the situation.

NoName August 28, 2013 at 8:02 am

I picked up a copy of the covenants from the developer before deciding upon a purchase. It is clear that the property owners are not enforcing the covenants (or the “association” is using too much of the wacky tobaccy). All lots are not “neat and orderly” as required by the covenants – notice 40891. Besides uncut grass & weeds, there are misc trashy items laid around the yard, to include fishing gear hanging on their fence. There are also ATVs being utilized and stored (in sight) in the subdivision. There were unrestrained pets in the neighborhood. I suspect the the phrase “no conduct or property usage that is a nuisance to the peace, dignity, or property values” is not being adhered to. In short, there are covenants but they are not being enforced. It appears that Juanita’s “cojones” comment above is accurate.

Mister_Missy July 29, 2014 at 7:45 am

I wish that I would have found this site before I spoke with Mr. No-Coj (tall, with light beard) several months ago. All the complaints are true. Big talk about covenants, but they aren’t enforced. Ridicules.

CTH October 14, 2014 at 7:46 am

The beautiful Kachemak Estates subdivision sign has been replaced with a huge, unsymmetrical pile of dirt that will soon become infested will more unsightly weeds and grass. What are these loo-loos thinking? If there is a set of covenants and a president, he/she should be hung from their toes and publically ridiculed. What a failure!